Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner

I have a 1998 toyota tacoma v6 3.4 4x4 manual transmission

Customer Question

I have a 1998 toyota tacoma v6 3.4 4x4 manual transmission and its having problems cold starting in the morning. If i use starting fluid it starts fine right away. I installed a new fuel pump but problem persists.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: New fuel pump, new spark plugs , new ignition coils , new fuel filter, new spark plug wires, i changed the ecu or ecm with another one from a junk yard still nothing
JA: Is there anything else the Toyota Mechanic should be aware of about your Toyota?
Customer: No
JA: Our top Toyota Mechanic is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Toyota Mechanic in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Toyota Mechanic until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 7 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. What you have here is a classic case of lost fuel pressure and sufficient volume at the fuel rail on the engine. Since it starts with starting fluid, this indicates you do not have gasoline at the injectors. This can happen only one (or both) of two ways: 1) the injectors are leaking and allowing all of the fuel in the injector rail to drain off (if this was so you would smell raw fuel at the tailpipe when cranking it and 2) the fuel pressure check valve (built into the fuel pump) is not closing properly (regardless of a new pump or not). This check valve is there to keep residual fuel pressure at the injector rail for the next start. The extended cranking time is the pump pressurizing the system as the injectors bleed the air in the line out. Attach a mechanical fuel gauge to the fuel inlet line and read fuel pressure with the engine running. It should be 32 PSI. Shut the engine off and watch the gauge. If it drops to zero in an hour or 2, your fuel pump check valve is faulty.

Please confirm that you have received my input. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. Thanks.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The new fuel pump I installed is made by walbro should i swap it out with a new one?

I would recommend that, however, I would also recommend you do the fuel pressure bleed-off test first. This really sounds like a pump issue though.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.

If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations.

A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Im looking at the fuel rails of the truck and it looks like it might have a really slow leak from the crush washers and bolts..

That will do it. You need to have around 20 PSI or thereabouts for a good cold start. Any fuel leakage will drop your pressure to zero in 8 hours easy

Replace the washers. Use genuine Toyota washers. The aftermarket ones at the parts stores are being seen to be manufactured too thin as of late.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I just called the loca parts store and they said they have the fuel pump. Now that check valve you're talking about ... Is it in the fuel pump itself or is it in the assembly

it is built into the pump (at least on the Toyota pumps)....Walbro and non-Toyota, I am not sure.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok thanks

but...if it is leaking fuel at the rails, you need to fix that. A little leak could become a big leak and catch the engine on fire.