Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner

I have a 1998 toyota camry. I am dealing with an ABS issue

Customer Question

Hi i have a 1998 toyota camry. I am dealing with an ABS issue where i do not have the proper scan tool adapters to access ABS data and codes. I figured it was a common speed sensor problem so i tested the all 4 speed sensors with a multimeter and every one except for the LR read some sort of voltage. SO i went ahead and replaced the LR speed sensor. Now, because i cannot access the ABS module i cannot clear the codes so the light is still on. I tried disconnecting the battery and the light is still on. Is there any way to reset the light or clear the codes without using a scan tool or is there any way to jump some terminals at the diagnostic port to get a flash code.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 7 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer, Please allow me to assist you. To clear the codes (assuming your replacement part was the problem), jump terminal Tc and E1 in the diagnostic connector under the hood. Turn the key to ON, (do not start), then rapidly press and release the brake pedal more than 8 times in 5 seconds. .

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.

If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations.

A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer

To ACCESS the ABS codes, jump terminal TC and E1, and count the blinks of the ABS light IE 2 blinks pause 3 blinks would be a 'code 23"

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

with "tc" and "E1" the abs did not blink

only ones that did were air bag and cruz

From the manual:

Check the DTC.
(1) Using jumper wire, , connect terminals Tc and E1 of the diagnostic connector
(2) Turn the ignition switch ON.
(3) Read the DTC from the ABS warning light and
TRAC OFF indicator light on the combination meter.

Make sure you have the right terminals. it is easy to get the wrong socket, or not get a good jumper connection.