Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic

I drive a 2011 Prius.I was driving home the other day. A

Customer Question

I drive a 2011 Prius.I was driving home the other day. A couple of miles before home my check engine light came on. less than 30 seconds after that, Check Hybrid System showed on Dash. Car lost power. I was able to restart car and get myself home. Car would not restart next morning.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I need to know what is wrong before I decide that
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Toyota Mechanic should know about your Toyota?
Customer: No. runs fine. this issue appeared out of nowhere. I work about 40 miles from home. Having my car is ESSENTIAL!!!!
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 7 months ago.

Do you have a code reader to check for malfunction codes in the engine control computer? Do you live fairly close to a nearby auto parts store where most states except California Virginia they do free malfunction code reads. The first place to start is to find out what codes would be set in the engine control computer causing the check engine light to come on then the other lights. Any generic code reader will work. I can recommend one for less than $50 that I suggest everybody have in the glove box it will save you hundreds of dollars in diagnostic fees down the road. Is getting the codes a possibility for you?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
not at this time. I am not near the vehicle. I am just trying to determine in general if this is going to be a minor or major expense. Could it be either?????

It's not likely an emissions related failure or a simple cylinder misfire otherwise the check engine light will flash and a emissions failure will not cause the hybrid system light to come on. I don't want to push the panic button for you yet but there's a possibility there could be a problem in the hybrid system itself. There's no way to know without having the diagnostic trouble codes from the engine computer. That code will illuminate what's going on with the hybrid system. If you cannot get the ready on you could disconnect both cables from the 12 V battery in the rear of the vehicle place a jumper wire across the two cable ends isolated from the battery and leave it on for about 10 minutes then remove the jumper wire install both cable ends back on the battery and ready the vehicle on and see if it will continue to drive normally or does the check engine light come back on with the hybrid lights? If it does then it has a hard fault code being set in the system. Here's a link below for a great little scan tool that works well and has some live data features you can get on Amazon for 50 bucks. Recommend everybody have one in the glovebox it will save you hundreds of dollars in diagnostic fees. Please do not forget to rate the assistance that I provided you at three or higher. If you need additional input or you can get the code numbers later reply back here with those numbers and I can elaborate with more information.