Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

Master warning light with check engine on, 2006 Prius:

Customer Question

Master warning light with check engine on
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: 2006 Prius: master warning light is on with check engine indicator on
JA: It's good that it's giving you information about the problem. The Toyota Mechanic will know what to do. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Talking to you
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Toyota Mechanic should know about your Toyota?
Customer: No
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 8 months ago.

Hello, thanks for posting

Is the car running ok other than the lights being on? The check engine light will trigger the master warning light to turn on usually because some communication is lost between the engine control computer and the hybrid system so the engine light should be diagnosed first, is the driveable at this time or do you have access to a diagnostic code reader?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Code is P0A80. Before I could get my prius to the Toyato shop today (3/15/16) the master warning light went out overnight. This is the second time it has come and remained most of the day then sent off. As your Mechanic suggested the next time it comes on I will immediately high tail it to Toyota for diagnostics since I have only 135k miles of the car and the Hybrid battery is guaranteed to 150k miles. nat

Sounds good and yes that is a hybrid battery code, most likely a low voltage cell, hopefully you can get it done under warranty.