Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Installed new spark plugs on my 2000 Land Cruiser. Correct

Customer Question

Installed new spark plugs on my 2000 Land Cruiser. Correct gap & torque. It starts then quits then won't start. Is there a computer reset requires?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: All plug connections are good. The engine light & VSC "on" & "off" lights appeared. The lights disappeared after the positive battery cable was unhooked & rebooked.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Toyota Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $20 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a scan tool to see if there any codes set in the engine control computer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No scam tool.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That should have been "scan" tool.
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

Can you rent or borrow a code reader? That needs to be the first place to start checking to see what's going on here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That will be my next project. Stay tuned . . Thanks.
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

Launch Creader VI is a great little scan tool and are $50 on Amazon. Very user friendly and plug and play with some live data options.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will order one & try to solve the code issue.
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

Ok post back here with the codes and I can give you a better diagnosis.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does this unit have a universal post-1996 plug?
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

Yes it is under the left side of the dash.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Launch Creader VI will be here this week. We hope!
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

Let me know how goes. You will not be disappointed is a great little scan tool for the money.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Current status;
Creader VI arrived today and displays readings on minimum sensor voltage, ''fail'', maximum sensor voltage, ''fail, on both banks. What do these scans mean and what now
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

Do you have the specific code numbers that would have been on the display of the code reader? Do you have the VIN available?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
VIN is JT3HT05JXY0119976. Will attempt to get the codes.
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

OK

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The only code appearing is "OL" under Datastream, fuel system 1 & 2. There was a "failed to read I/M data" & a "failed to read VIN" under Vehicle Info.
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

Does the 10 amp OBD fuse have 12 V going to it or is it blown? The OL means that the scan tool is not communicating with the computer normally this is bad fit at the DLC three connector Or no power going to the connector. Pin 16 the black wire in that DLC three connector and should have 12 V. Something doesn't add up simply changing the spark plugs shouldn't keep this from running. Did you get all the connectors secured to the ignition coils? Did any of those harness is get pinched or broken?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The IBD fuse is good. The spark plug procedure is quite involved but only one wire was pulled at a time. The connections were checked multiple times.
Have you seen this issue?
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

No I have not seen this before with just a spark plug replacement. Can you post a picture of the scan tool? Did you go to DIAGNOSIS and then codes read all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is your "e" address for a photo? The scanner unit is the one you said to obtain.
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

There should be a link on your end that allows you to attach photographs.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No e-mail link is evident.
Here are the scanner displays;
Diagnose
Monitor Status, Mil off
Read Codes
Current DTCS ($07) "vehicle has no fault codes"
Pending DTCS ($07), "vehicle has No fault codes"
Permanent DTCS, ($0A), "vehicle does not support"
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

That makes a little more sense that means the scan tool is connecting but it found no fault codes in permanent or pending or current. I didn't quite understand what it was saying before. That being said that means there's no sensor malfunction or input problem from the igniter or the computer itself. Usually if you are no start condition when this happens it is either fuel pump related or some type of power feed to the computer or possibly the coils. Are you 100% certain that all the fuses are good? This is a longshot but trying remove both battery cables isolate them from the battery place a jumper wire across the two ends of the battery cables let us sit for about 10 minutes then remove the jumper wire install both battery cables and see if it will start up. Should not require any hard reset but it's always a good idea to try.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can check the fuses again.
Disconnect pos & neg battery cables then connect pos & neg battery terminals?
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

Yes isolated from the battery.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Won't a direct connection between positive & negative battery posts short out the battery?
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

Not the battery posts!! The end of the cables together isolated from the battery.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Connect the battery cable ends with a separate wire?
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

Yes

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Same problem. The engine cranks, sputters but doesn't fire.
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

I am out of options on this one. Short of it having jump time or one ignition coil hooked up incorrectly or simply failed pulling the system down I don't know what else to tell you to check or test this may be a hands-on type project. I will opt out so that if other technicians have run into this problem before they may be able to assist you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
O.K., we have it a whack anyway. Thanks for staying with me on this mess.