Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

I replaced the rear sparkplugs and intake gaskets on a 2006

I replaced the rear sparkplugs and intake gaskets on a 2006 highlander hybrid. When I started vehicle I got waringin lights for the VSC and Hybrid system. I used pins to eliminate the VSC but had to take of battery cable to remove the Hybrid warning. Drove vehicle for 4 5 miles and then turned off, Turned on again and same scenario reoccurred with a engine light. Repeated and each time the vehicle runs fine between removing cable and replacing but within 15 minutes it will start to try moving out of combustion system and then into battery real rough,
The code is a p3190 and p3193 saying no power and no fuel, I get 12 volts on battery and the 14 with alternator running but also received a fault saying the battery doe not have required voltage
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 8 months ago.

Does your skin to give you the information codes along with these codes or the sub codes? Does your scan tool access to hybrid computer? Are you 100% certain that you have fuel in the tank and you have fuel pressure to the engine?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
fuel tank full will go for 5 6 miles no issues at all, Seems like a hydraulics system doesn't build up. A number of hose come off when you replace plugs since you have to take of the air intake manifold. I did not check fuel pressure. Scan tool is innova 3100 not sure if it has to address some other computer onboard but it recognizes vin code and vehicle type
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I didn't understand the skin comment
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
the car had no issues before I changed the plugs. I believe a fuel line to the engine with a green cap and pressure valve is exposed that I could press and see if there is pressure . It may not be an issue but prior to replacing the plugs I had a full tank of gas that I put in lucas oil to help clean injectors and it sat, can it plug lines if not use right away?

Sorry that was a typo voice activation I didn't catch that when I proof read it it should is said does your scan tool give you the information codes or sub codes? That line with the green cap on it is for the vapor purge or pressure line for the evap system that is not a fuel line. Are you sure you got all the lines back on correctly? The injection cleaner should not affected it hasn't been setting that long.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
the scab tool provides me with only the codes not use about subcodes and if they come out of it. I am running vehicle in the drive way and it again starts fine runs on combustion engine so getting gas and there is no warnings . I have the air obn and the screen shows that the hybrid battery charge level is at the low side. When i drive it this comes up but the fan motor must be using the hybrid battery and not the car battery from what i can see,
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
a couple of more things. I tried restarting and the car started with the combustions side. I pushed gas down and no change as i tried to rev up. When I moved it into neutral and tried to revup it told me car can onbly start in park and then it stop. would not let me restart but codes showed up then
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
last two readings p3191 engine does not start

3190 code just means is low-power from the engine. The 3191 means that there was a difficulty starting the engine when it was commanded to by the hybrid control computer. Now that you have the 3191 along with the 3193 that means there's not enough fuel pressure the engine essentially ran out of gas if you are certain you have fuel in the tank you need to double check your fuel line attachments make sure he did not get them put in the wrong place. Also make sure that you didn't pinch any hoses or wiring harness connectors going to any of the ignition coils. Let me know what you find with fuel pressure to the fuel rail on the engine. Do not continue to try and start this multiple times without resolving the problem you will run the hybrid battery down to a point where it will not start and you will have to have it towed to the dealer to charge the hybrid battery.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
ok please allow me some time to remove and check all lines, do you have a schematic or website that might have the positioning of the fuel lines and where I can check the pressure? I do not have a guage but wiil see if we have some at least. Thanbks
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
ps the battery level has come up signifcnatly just sitting

In order to check fuel pressure you have a special fitting that goes on the banjo fitting at the injector rail or on the main line coming up from the main fuel tube where it goes to the flex line. It requires a T fitting there. Best thing to do would be able to just remove that line put hose on it and try and start the vehicle and see if it will pump fuel into a can or a jar. As long as you are getting good volume you probably have pressure. Be careful there's no spark you don't want to get a fire going. I supplied three links showing the fuel lines and vapor return and purge line the line with the green plastic cap and T fitting and Is strictly for vapor pressure checking the charcoal canister system.

If the problem was not there prior to removing the intake manifold you need to double check everything that you took apart and put it back together. Including any ground wires that would've been attached to the intake manifold or the cylinder head valve cover.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
yeah I assumed that I have taken it dowen 4 times now and replaced itill try once more

Okay let me know how it goes.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
there is fuel being pushed through front side rail
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
no fuel lines pinched all electrical connections seems fine. there- are no other hoses except a coolant hose going to air and the one from the vapor control bracket goes into the the side of the air flow housing

At this point this is probably going to be a hands-on type repair I will have to opt out.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
ok

Good luck