Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

I have a 91 Toyota Corolla and 2 days ago I was driving on

Customer Question

Hello! My name is***** have a 91 Toyota Corolla and 2 days ago I was driving on the freeway at around 65 mph and the speedometer needle suddenly jumped to like 100 mph. Now it always shows a higher speed than I'm going and it oscillates all over the place. The transmission seems to be working fine, though. Do I just need to replace the speedometer cable?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Not much, really...
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Toyota Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $20 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 9 months ago.

Hello, thanks for posting

It does sound like the cable is the problem, it's not that difficult to replace and inexpensive, in most cases a new cable fixes the problem, in rare cases the speedometer itself will need to be replaced, try the cable first.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok. I will order a new cable and try to replace it. Then I'll get back to you. Thank you for the quick response!

You're welcome and good luck.