Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I just got my oil change on my 2015 tundra it has 5,000

Customer Question

I just got my oil change on my 2015 tundra it has 5,000 miles using my Toyota care. My oil gauge was at the half Mark. Toyota said I was 2 quarts low. Is my engine ok?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  I. Silva replied 9 months ago.

Hello...welcome and thank you for using Justanswer.

There are no complains of oil consumption on this year vehicles but I would check the oil level every 1000 miles until your next oil change to see if the level stays the same .(this engine takes 7.4 qts of oil)

If you do have a problem ,like the engine burning the oil or a leak (not common on a new vehicle ) the dealer will take care of it at no charge for you.

Good luck.

Let me know if need any further info.

Thank you very much.

Expert:  I. Silva replied 9 months ago.

The oil gage being at middle does not mean you have a oil pressure problem and two quarts low would not make the oil pressure drop.

I would be more worried if the engine is burning oil.

Just keep you eyes on the level until the next oil change and then let the dealer take care of it if there is a problem.

Good luck.

Let me know.

Thank you .

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
My question was, I just went to Toyota to get my 5,000 mile oil change. I left the dealership and drove my car for 70 miles. I then checked my oil and it was low. It didn't even reach the the first mark on the dip stick. I then drove back to the the dealership and they check my oil and said I was 2 quarts low. My oil light did not come on. I just want to if that can damage my engine.
Expert:  I. Silva replied 9 months ago.

Sorry... NO , two quarts low would not damage your engine but you do need to find out if they did not put enough oil or if you your engine is burnig oil.

I would keep my eyes on it for the next miles

Good luck.Thank you very much.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
They did not put enough oil in it and I drove it 70 miles 2 quarts low. I just bought this truck new. I also want to know the oil pressure gauge was working and it was at the halfway mark. Does oil pressure gauge give me piece of mind that I had oil in the engine? What if they told me I was 2 quarts low but really I was 3 quarts low? Also how low on oil do you have to be to trip on the oil light?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I just want to make sure also I don't have a long term affect from this. I plan on put a supercharger on it when I have 30k miles
Expert:  I. Silva replied 9 months ago.

I have done oil changes draining less than a quart of oil from the oil pan with out the gage or oil light giving any warning.

Before the gage or the light come on steady you will get the warning when making turns or stops.

Good luck.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
is the oil gauge something I can use to determine its low on oil? Also my long term affect?
Expert:  I. Silva replied 9 months ago.

Hi there sorry for last night ,had to get some sleep.

No, the main function of the gage or oil light is to monitor the oil pressure not the oil level.

If the gage drops or the light come on ,it can be two things ...the oil is full and you lost pressure due to a mechanical problem.

Second ...you have run out of oil due to a leak or engine burned the oil.

Good luck.

Let me know.

Thank you very much.

Expert:  I. Silva replied 9 months ago.

When I said mechanical problem I meant , worn out or spun bearing or a oil pump failure.

Thank you

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
my question is if my oil light did not come on and I had oil pressure. My truck takes 7.9 quarts and let's say it had 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 quarts in there drove 70 miles to find out it was low. Again the oil light did not come on and it drove fine. do you think the engine got damage.
Expert:  I. Silva replied 9 months ago.

No ,it definitely did not cause any type of damage to your engine .Thank you