Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

My doors do not lock or unlock with the remote, putting car

Customer Question

My doors do not lock or unlock with the remote, putting car in drive or with lock switch.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 10 months ago.

What year and model vehicle do you have? Do you have a voltmeter or simple 12 V test light to run some voltage checks? Or are you just looking for general ideas as to what could be going on?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
2005 Toyota Camry. Yes we have a volt meter.

Stand by while I look in the wiring diagram to get some tests for you to check. Do you have the door switches Exposed so we can get to the connector to the switch?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No but we can do so

That will be good to have access to these connectors I am looking at the wiring diagrams now and should get back to you in about 10 minutes.

Do the power windows work normally? Is there anything else in the vehicle that does not work besides the power door locks? Just to clarify the door locks do not work with either switch on either front door?

On the door lock switch on the passenger door in the connector pin number 6 will be a light green wire and pin number 5 will be a green wire with a red tracer. The pins are counted by disconnecting and looking at the face of the connector With the locked on top and the top left corner would be pin number one then counting across left to right increasing in number. When you run out of pins start with the next row on the left and continue to count to the right. This being said make sure the connector is plugged in carefully back probe those two wires I indicated with the key in the on position that in the off position what is the voltage on these two wires? Make sure you have a good ground on your black lead on your voltmeter and keep in mind my information is only as good as your ability to follow directions and give me good readings back.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Do we need to test every door? Yes the windows work and no the door locks do not work w switch or key fan. Only door that locks when put in park is the drivers rear door.

For now just check the front switches we need to determine if the body ECM is outputting the proper voltage to the door switches.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
6 locked and unlocked the rear driver door from passenger side but nothing else. The drivers side lock button operates the drivers rear lock. I do not understand what back probing is. Can u text me?(###) ###-####

I'm a little unclear as to what you mean by six lock and unlock the rear driver door. Are you checking this with a voltmeter when I ask you to check for voltage at those two wires and pins?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
What is back probing?

Back probing is taking the positive probe of your voltmeter and carefully sliding it between the back of the connector and the wire so that your touching the metal pin of the wire while the connector is plugged into the switch. Or some people just pierce the wire insulation very carefully near the switch without damaging the copper inside so that you have good contact.