Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

I had my oil changed yesterday, picked up the car it drove

Customer Question

I had my oil changed yesterday, picked up the car it drove for .25 miles and shut off. it is a 2008 prius I have had no problems with it at all. the code it is give is 3190, not sure what to check or do
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 10 months ago.

Was that the only code that was set in the system P3190? Will your code reader give any other malfunction codes or access the hybrid control system? Does it give you sub information codes? Did you check the oil to make sure the oil is full? Are there any leaks under the vehicle?

Was the oil change done at the dealer? How many miles on the car?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The oil change was done at a firestone. there are 142K miles on the car.
When it first shut off the Red triangle light, as well as the hybrid system lights were on the car as well.
When I checked the battery life on the car it showed the hybrid as having only one bar. when I dropped car of it had all but 2 bars of being fully charged. the 12 volt battery is holding the correct voltage. When you hit start all of the lights come on but the gas engine will not start at all. the only code that is showing up now is the 3190. They said there is some oil on throttle body. What are the odds that this is only a coincidence? I have never had problems before.

Did you pull The dipstick to confirm that there's oil in the crankcase? Did you notice any oil leaking under the vehicle or did you notice any unusual noise prior to the engine quitting?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It was raining out. I have never seen any oil under car. The car has never made any unusual noise. Yes when I pulled the dipstick it was full

Okay this is a good sign that there is oil in the crankcase and no leaks underneath my concern at first was that they may have left the drain plug loose or didn't but the filter in right causing the oil to leak out of the engine causing the engine to start to seize up. The 3190 code simply means there's not enough engine performance for what is being requested or not enough power. The HV ECU and the ECM receives data such as power output required for the engine (required output), estimated torque produced by the engine (estimated torque), engine RPM of control target (target RPM), whether the engine is in start mode or not. Then, based on the required output and target RPM, the ECM calculates a target torque that is to be produced by the engine and compares it with the estimated torque. If the estimated torque is very low compared with the target torque, or the engine start mode continues for the specific duration calculated by water temperature, an abnormal condition is detected. This being said there are multiple things that can cause this to lose power. The first being fuel pressure the second being if it was extremely wet or rainy it's possible that some of the ignition coils could have started to fail but usually when that happens you will get a P0300 series code which is misfire indications. The first thing you need to do is confirm whether or not you have fuel pressure. Then checking cylinder compression would be next. Regarding the oil in the intake when looking down to the throttle body that is fairly normal on this engine the engine is notorious to have some oil residue in the base of the intake that is due to the Atkinson cycle engine and how it is designed to work. As a test you could remove both battery cables from the 12 V battery in the trunk and put a jumper wire across the two cable ends for about 10 minutes to allow it to reset everything in the computers. Then take the jumper wire off reinstall the battery cables and see if the vehicle will ready on. At that point see if the engine will start and run when you depress the accelerator to the floor. Without having a scan tool to check further in depth into the HV ECU to see if there's a malfunction there that cause the engine not to start or to lose power is important but that's usually only available at dealerships or someone that has a high end scan tool. Most generic scan tools will not do that. Please do not forget to rate the assistance that I provided to you at three or higher and as always if you need additional information feel free to reply and I will get back to you.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
They cleaned the sensors and reset the codes. The prius started but when they were backing it out of the garage it died again.

Cleaning the mass airflow sensor is a good place to start provided they did not damage it. Having them check the fuel pressure also and they may need to have a Toyota technician with a scan tool that will access the other systems in order to get a deeper understanding of what's going on here. You need to have them check the fuel pressure also. It needs to be at about 40 psi. We do offer a premium service here that allows contact via the telephone. I will submit that offer to you you can accept that any time it might be easier to discuss this over the telephone if you feel like they're not giving you the straight story at the service center where you had the oil changed. The probably not qualified to work on this type of vehicle. They also need to recheck the codes after they have cleared them and have them do the hard reset as I mentioned with the 12 V battery cables.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
now they say the code is saying POA80
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
the p3190 is coming up with the POA80
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Is there anyway to charge the battery or does it go bad all at once?

Unfortunately this is not a good sign the P0A80 means there is a malfunction the hybrid battery. This means one of the 14 modules or voltage blocks in the HV battery is not within threshold. Again in order to confirm which module is failing or not up to the voltage threshold that it needs to be at would require their scan tool to access the hybrid computer or hybrid battery computer data list. There also would be a sub information code that would be correlated with this P0A80 code. There is a remote chance that there could be a problem with the intake air vent for the cooling system for the HV battery. Do a Google search for this T-SB-0153-13 there should be a copy of it online somewhere. The intake air vent gets clogged with debris and the fan can also get clogged with dirt and debris causing the battery to not cool properly which can also set this code. I would have them check that and see how it looks from there. It is not likely that the battery instantly failed it could've been on the borderline or just could've been overheating and it is just now decided to flag the code. Have them tryo the hard reset and see if the codes come back. If it instantly comes back and the engine will not run or ready on then it looks like there could be a problem HV battery. Let me know how things go.