Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

Accelerating from30-50 mph on freeway and car vibrates. 09

Customer Question

Accelerating from30-50 mph on freeway and car vibrates. 09 sienna. Transmission fluid fine. 69k miles
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Toyota. The Toyota Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Check engine light vsc light and traction control lights on
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Possibly, but have trip in a few weeks so want it done right
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Toyota Mechanic should know about your Toyota?
Customer: No, rest is fine
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $15 after the Toyota Mechanic responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 9 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. A vibration on acceleration at a specific MPH is usually one of two things. Motor mounts or transmission mounts. If the car vibrates all the time between 30 and 50 mph (driving normally/coasting), it could be wheels or tire balance. Please advise where you feel the vibration...in the steering wheel or in the bottom of the seat. Thanks

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Only on acceleration, not coasting. Would the lights come on for a mount issue?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Not in steering wheel
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Transmission fluid is full and light brown. Concern is the transmission is going.

No. The lights would not come on for a mount issue, as they are not considered part of the engine or transmission. All they do is carry the weight of the units and isolate inherent vibration. If the mounts are worn or damaged, the isolation characteristics are compromised and the inherent vibration would be felt in the seat, not the steering wheel. Brake vibrations (warped rotors/tire balance) would be felt in the steering wheel. I would have all of the motor and transmission mounts examined visually on a hoist. Light brown fluid is a bit of a concern; A bigger concern is if it smells 'burnt'.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
what would the check engine light, vsc off and traction control light all being on mean?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks for your help.

You are very welcome. Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you. I trust my input is satisfactory and meets your expectations. A positive rating for my assistance on your request would be greatly appreciated; thanks again and have a great day

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sorry, not sure if you saw that for the last few days that the 3 lights are on, check engine, vsc and traction control lights

Missed that. Normally, when all three lights are on, you have an engine or emission issue. If only the ABS and VSC lights were on. you would have a brake issue. Since you are planning a trip, it is strongly recommended you get the car scanned. You may or may not have an issue that needs to be rectified before you depart on your trip. An internal engine issue (bad coil, bad spark plug, cam timing, etc 'could' give you a vibration on acceleration, but that would also be displayed as a hesitation; you did not mention any negative driving issues. Still sounds like trans or motor motor mounts

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 8 months ago.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reply.