Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

Have a 2008 lexus es 350 that makes a clunk (seems to be

Customer Question

have a 2008 lexus es 350 that makes a clunk (seems to be from the front) when a slow then accelerate...mainly hear at low speeds. 127K miles 90% highway
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: have a 2008 lexus es 350 that makes a clunk (seems to be from the front) when a slow then accelerate...mainly hear at low speeds. 127K miles 90% highway...happens even when I slow down on highway with engine breaking and accelerate
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Toyota Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $20 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. A slow clunk on turns could be a variety of things. Most common, a broken sway bar link is the prime offender. After that, worn lower A-arm bushings are common on higher mileage cars. There is a know problem with the bearing support plates (these fit on top of the front struts). Over time and miles, these things wear out and can cause a noise. We replace lots of them in the shop....those and sway bar links. A good front end shop would see the sway bar link and/or the a-arm bushings. The strut bearing supports require the struts to be removed. Base don experience, I would think the sway bar links or the sway bar bushings are your cause.

Please confirm that you have received my input. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No turning when I hear the noise. Its always driving straight

Can you make it do it sitting still by putting it in gear, holding the brake and increasing the engine RPM? Then put in reverse and repeat?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I hold the brake shift and increase rpm, I can feel the engine pull toward the passenger side. My guess is motor mounts

Very good observation. The engine should not deliver any feeling of movement. I would recommend replacement of all of the motor mounts.