Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

2011 RAV4 new keys cut, programmed the unlock/lock feature

Customer Question

2011 RAV4 new keys cut, programmed the unlock/lock feature which works, but car turns and will not start. Use original key starts fine.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Toyota. The Toyota Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: car will turn but not start. With the other key it will, with the two new keys it won't. Both new keys and the fob unlock/lock doors but car will not start. Keys were cut to factory code, ignition turns...
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I am in hopes
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Toyota Mechanic should know about your Toyota?
Customer: no it is a 2011 rav4
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $15 after the Toyota Mechanic responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 8 months ago.

Do you have the vehicle identification number for this vehicle? When you insert one of the new keys you notice on the instrument display whether the security light flashes or go out?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
give me a sec

ok

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I can't locate the vin # ***** now

What about the information on the little red security light? When you remove the working ignition key does the red security like a flash?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
still there?

Yes I am still here did you get my last reply inquiring about the little red security indicator light? When you remove the good working key does the security light flash and then when you insert the good working key does the security light go out?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I will have to check, I am at work now

OK let me know and if you can get the VIN.