Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

Number 2 cylinder misfiring check engine light on, Car

Customer Question

Number 2 cylinder misfiring check engine light on
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Toyota. The Toyota Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Car started to run rough this afternoon and the computer says that the number 2 cylinder is misfiring check engine light keeps flashing off and on
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes if possible
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing yet looking for the spark plugs and spark plug wires
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Toyota Mechanic should know about your Toyota?
Customer: It has 234500 miles on but it's been running great until this evening
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $15 after the Toyota Mechanic responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 8 months ago.

What year and model car do you have? What engine is in it? If you clear the code does it come right back? Are there any other codes besides the P0302 code?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It's a 2000 Avalon 3.8 I think it's a v6 I did not clear the code that's the only code that it gave
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I don't have anymore to add

Okay provided you are not getting any other misfire codes or oil control valve codes or a lean condition code this P0302 code is pretty straightforward. That means cylinder misfire on cylinder 2 as you obviously already know. What I need you to do to is confirm that it is either a bad ignition coil or spark plug is to remove the ignition coil and the spark plug from the number two cylinder. This is the cylinder in the front bank by the radiator and is the closest to the passenger side. The cylinders are two cylinder four an cylinder six. Swap cylinder two with the center cylinder number four as far as ignition coil goes if you have a socket that will fit down in there and remove the spark plug while you have the coil off and pull the plug out see how it looks. Ideally I switch the coils first then switch the plug to confirm whether it's electrical or possibly an injector more than likely you will find it's a bad ignition coil. If the misfire is still there and it switches to a P0304 code instead of the 302 code then you know for sure it's a bad coil. If you purchase a ignition coil a sure you buy only a Denso brand ignition coil if possible. Please do not forget to rate the assistance that I provided to you at three or higher. If you need any additional input feel free to reply and I will get back to you.