Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

How do I reset the anti theft on a 2001 Toyota solara

Customer Question

Category: Toyota
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 9 months ago.

lock and unlock from driver side door with the key will reset the system

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have tried this, also I have disconnected the battery over night, I also located a small silver box with a white connector that I was told would allow my car to start if I disconnected. none of these have worked.
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 9 months ago.

ok have you tried relearning the key

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
no, how do I do that?
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 9 months ago.

1. Insert an already programmed master key into the ignition. Do not turn.
2. Press and release the gas pedal 5 times.
3. Press and release the brake pedal 6 times.
4. Remove the key from the ignition.
5. Insert the new key you want to program into the ignition.
6. Press and release the gas pedal one time.
7. Wait 1 minute. The security light will be blinking for this one minute. When it stops blinking your

key is programmed. To end programming step on brake one time.

NOTE: Look for your security light. This light will guide you during the programming procedure. The security light will go off at Step 1. It will remain off until Step 6. The security light will come on and start to blink after Step 6 until the key is programmed. If the security light comes on after Step 4 STOP the procedure and start over again.

If you perform this procedure too slowly your car will not go into programming mode. If you can not get your car to go into programming mode make sure you are using a master key and not a valet key. If you have a master key then you will probably need to perform this procedure more quickly.

Expert:  cloe0626 replied 9 months ago.

instead of putting the new key in just use the orignal key

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
on a side note. my security light is always flashing. is that normal
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 9 months ago.

no its not the car is morethen likely not registering the key

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
it flashes even when the key is in the ignition
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 9 months ago.

it will untill its been reset

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
the only time the light doesn't flash is when I lock the car with the remote. then while the car is locked if I insert the key it starts blinking again.
I am going to try the steps you just gave me and see what happens
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 9 months ago.

let me know

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
the light never stopped blinking during that process. even when the key is removed it blinks
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 9 months ago.

ok do you have access to a scanner that dose live data

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
no I do not
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 9 months ago.

ok the theft system is going to have to be reset via a scanner when you removed the headlights the computer thought the car was being stolen so it is going to have to be reset that way just thought we would try the key first to make sure

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Really? how would removing headlights make the car think it was being stolen? does this happen a lot?
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 9 months ago.

did you disconnect the battery before you removed them

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
no I was unaware I needed too, I changed the headlights last year with no problems so I never thought I needed to
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 9 months ago.

there are sensor is front of the car as well as the doors anytime you do anything like that it is best to disconnect the battery and it happens more often then you think

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have been driving this car for years and this has never happened before. I have changed the headlight bulbs many times. is there anything I can do about it?
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 9 months ago.

beside going in with a scanner and reseting there is really nothing you can do you have tried everything else as far as reseting the system

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
That's all I did was change the bulbs. First I put new brak pads on the rear driver side along with a rotor. then I pulled the car off the hoist and out the door into the sunlight and changed the bulbs, went inside for supper came back out and turned the key and at first there was nothing at all not even a click. so I hooked the jumpers to it and it started cranking and cranking and cranking, but nothing. not it will crank without being hooked up to the jumper cables. I even tried a different battery.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
How certain are you that this is the problem. And how do i rectify it
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 9 months ago.

I see that you have not been able to get this resolved. Have you been able to get it restarted yet? Do you have the vehicle identification number available? Has there been an aftermarket security system added to this vehicle? Do you have a picture of the security light that flashes when the key is inserted into the ignition cylinder? At this point does the engine crank over or when you turn the key to start position there is no response from the starter?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
the security light never stops flashing. key out or key in the ignition the light keeps flashing. no after market security system. the engine cranks over and over and over, plugs are getting fire, I think the security is preventing it from getting fuel. Fuel pump kicks on
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 8 months ago.

Can you send me a picture of the security light flashing? I'm trying to determine what type of system this has on it. Do you have the vehicle identification number available?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Here is the pic
the vin number is *****

I just verified that that security light is in fact the immobilizer security light. If that light flashes steady and consistent with the key in the ignition lock cylinder or if it flashes a code for example two flashes a pause than one flash and it will not start the car, in other words the engine cranks over but it just does not fire up then the key is not programmed to the system. There is an immobilizer chip in the key that once the key is inserted into the lock cylinder the transponder key coil around the lock cylinder recognizes the chip and sends a signal to the immobilizer system to tell the computer that it's okay to allow the engine to start. This vehicle will not start until that light stops flashing and the key is programmed. Do you have an original master programmed chip key that starts the car? If you do then I can walk you through a procedure to try and program this key that is not starting the car.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
the key I have been using to try to start the car is the same key I have been using for the last 3 years. without problem. I changed the headlight bulbs and now none of my keys are recognized. how can this be
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I didn't try a new key I am attempting to start the car with the same key I have been starting it with for 3 years
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
i also have 2 spare valet keys, that are not recognized anymore

Do you have a code reader or can you borrow one from a local parts store to see if there any malfunction codes set in the engine control computer that may help understand why the transponder is not recognizing the keys anymore? This is a long shot but disconnect both battery cables isolate them from the battery and then place a jumper wire between the two cable ends let it set for about 10 minutes then remove the jumper wire reinstall the battery cable ends insert the nation key and see if the light stops flashing. Also using one key at a time inserted into the ignition lock cylinder monitor the security light does it flash slow and steady as if the key was not inserted or does it seem to flash a pattern for example a two flashes then one flash?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I will try and get a code reader to determine if something is faulty. When i insert all the keys nothing changes with the flashing security light. It blinks steady on off on off

Ok let me know if there are any codes set in the computer.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok. sorry it took a bit for my mechanic to be freed up to come here with his code reader. he plugged it in and it would not allow him to connect to the main computer. he tried several times to connect and it would not let him, but he could connect to all other mods.