Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

I suspect a rodent is in the cabin air blower system. A foul

Customer Question

i suspect a rodent is in the cabin air blower system.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Toyota. The Toyota Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: A foul smell blows in when the a/c system is turned on. I checked and changed the engine air intake and cabin filters. They were just dirty, no rodent signs. It is a 2014 Sienna with 20,000 miles. I did clean up rodent drops and urine on tope engine cover and dealer repaired a chewed wiring harness last month.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Pulled the engine intake ducts and cleaned them but no rodent signs, The cabin filter had no sign of rodent nor behind it. I have read many web chats of rodents getting into the cabin far cage opening just below the cowling on passenger side.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Toyota Mechanic should know about your Toyota?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $15 after the Toyota Mechanic responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 9 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Before you start pulling any of the dash out, remove the cowl panel and see if there is evidence of rodent nests there. Removal of the heater box (where most of the rodents end up is an absolute nightmare on this vehicle. The entire front interior and the entire instrument panel/dashboard needs to be removed to access the heather box. In our shop, where we have done this job for rodent intrusion, it takes a trained tech about 8 hours to get to the heater box.

Normally, when rodents get into the heater box, we usually find evidence of them in the fan blower, and almost always the cabin filter has chewing present.