Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

We lost the only chipped ignition key we had. Is there a way

Customer Question

We lost the only chipped ignition key we had. Is there a way to change the ignition so it will work with a regular unchipped key?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Toyota. The Toyota Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: That's all there is to it. We have keys that will lock and unlock the car but won't start it. Is there a way to fix the ignition so they will start the car?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: If possible.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Toyota Mechanic should know about your Toyota?
Customer: It is a 2001 Avalon.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $15 after the Toyota Mechanic responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 9 months ago.

Unfortunately there is no way around this. You cannot bypass the immobilizer system the ECU and the transponder system have to be reprogrammed by the dealer. If you have the vehicle identification number handy I can give you a list of things that would need to be replaced or done.