sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I changed Front Axle Bearings, on 2006 Rav4- have a ghway

Customer Question

Lewis, I changed Front Axle Bearings, on 2006 Rav4- have a highway noise now, is it possible I did not get the Axle Nuts tight enough?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: road noise is more prominent on a nice new road as compared to a rougher asphalt
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Toyota Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $20 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

I'm assuming it was the wheel bearings you replaced. If the hub nuts were left loose entirely it could potentially cause the bearings to separate and then make noise but it really shouldn't, and it should take quite bit of driving for that to happen. I doubt loose nuts is your issue.

If the bearings can be ruled out then you could either be hearing tire noise or noise from inside the front differential.

What was the reason for replacing the bearings and where did the replacements come from?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Timken with new axle nuts

What was the reason for replacing the bearings?