Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

I have just replaced the battery in my 1999 Toyota Corolla

Customer Question

I have just replaced the battery in my 1999 Toyota Corolla CE, but it is still not starting. Before replacing the battery, it would make the clicking sound, but now it makes no sound other than to tell me keys are in the ignition and the door is open
JA: My old Jeep sounds like a steam radiator sometimes. It must be old age. The Toyota Mechanic will know what your noise means and what to do about it. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes, if possible. I know the battery is connected properly and all the lights on the dash and the air kicks in when I try to start it, but nothing else happens
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I've checked the fuses, which all seem fine, I've wiggled the battery cables but that doesn't seem to be the problem either. And the terminals and cables are all clean as well
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Toyota Mechanic should know about your Toyota?
Customer: I've started to wonder if something is up with my starter
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 9 months ago.

Do you have a voltmeter or 12 volt test light handy?Hello, thanks for posting

Is it an automatic or manual transmission?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No, I don't. It's automatic.

Thanks,e is no noise at all when turning the key to start in nwutral or park position?

Can you tell me how this no start condition began? Was there any sign of a pending starting problem before replacing the battery, I assume that's why you replaced it, what happened before this, did it just not crank after parking it?