Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

My Toyota Avalon xls 2003 is the issue, yesterday both right

Customer Question

hi!
JA: Hi. How can we be of help?
Customer: My Toyota Avalon xls 2003 is the issue
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Toyota. The Toyota Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: yesterday both right and turn signals stopped working completely
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: checking for fuses
JA: Is there anything else the Toyota Mechanic should be aware of about your Toyota?
Customer: but I am not clear what do
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 9 months ago.

Can you explain to me in detail what exactly is going on with this car? What exactly is your question?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
yesterday all of a sudden both turn signals blinkers and correspondent lights stopped working
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
how can I fix them?

What do you mean by correspondence lights? When you push the four Way flasher button do the flashers work front and back and both sides? Has any work been done to the vehicle recently?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
no work done. It means the turn signals do not work at all, both inside and outside the car

When you push the four-way Flasher button can you hear any relay click on or do the lights work? Do you have a voltmeter or A simple 12 V test light to check a few things? Is there anything else in the vehicle that does not work? The dome light? The horn?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Everything else works. No click sounds at all. And no, I do not have a voltmeter.

If the four way flashers are not working and the turn signals are not working the only way to find out what happened or what's causing this is to check for specific voltage at specific points. To do this you need at least simple 12 V test light. Is this something that you think you would be able to pick up at the parts store or something that you would be willing to try or are you just looking for general ideas as to what to do?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am willing to fix it myself

You will need to get to a nearby auto parts store like AutoZone or similar and purchase a generic simple 12 V test light. This will have a simple clamp on one end that would clamp onto a good metal surface and a probe with a light built into the probe. Typically less than $15 for a decent one. You don't want to go to cheap because it will have a flimsy cord and lousy bulb in it.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok. then what?

Once you have the test light let me know and I will start walking you through a few checks.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
sorry. this is not working. Goodbye