Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

Replacing a head, I'm replacing the head gasket on my 1989

Customer Question

Replacing a head
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Toyota. The Toyota Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I'm replacing the head gasket on my 1989 Toyota 4x4, 6cup 3.0L Engine. Not sure where to start.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yep
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I bought the gasket set, oil, oil filter spark plugs. In a lil nervous and scared, not sure where to start.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Toyota Mechanic should know about your Toyota?
Customer: I think there's a leak somewhere in the exhaust, white steamy thick smoke comes out the exhaust and from somewhere underneath in the middle of the pickup.
JA: Leaks can get messy. The Toyota Mechanic will know what to do. OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $15 after the Toyota Mechanic responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Eric replied 9 months ago.

HI,

Ok, directions are attached for removing the cylinder head to replace the head gasket. I would advise taking the head to a machine shop to have it checked for cracks and being warped and machined if needed

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'm so stuck, I can't get that EFI unit off the top of the motor. I've been trying for hours and I can't do it.
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 9 months ago.

Hello. Different expert here. Do you still need assistance on this request? if so, please feel free to reply.