Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

My 2011 ghlander went to the body shop, after the rear

Customer Question

Good morning. My 2011 Highlander went to the body shop, after the rear passenger side window's switch ha been disconnected, they put it back, it does not work anymore. The main switch from the driver's door still controls it, but not its own. What could be wrong ?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Toyota. The Toyota Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes, I could try.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Thinking I could be the switch, I used the left side switch, it's still not working, and the right side one works with the left window.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Toyota Mechanic should know about your Toyota?
Customer: That's all
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Edward replied 9 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help. Was there damage done to the passenger rear door or did the body shop have to make any repairs there? I'm wondering if the motor itself is unplugged or if the motor itself is damaged or defective. Do you have a test light or a voltmeter that we can check for power to the switch into the window motor. Let us know thank you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks for replying. The window motor works fine with the driver's door main switch. It cannot work only with the switch of the door itself.
Expert:  Edward replied 9 months ago.

Alright I follow you. so we know the window motor is good. And we know the window switch is good. The only other thing it could be is the master window switch in the drivers door panel, the way it is wired, power and ground is switched to the rear window motor inside the master window switch. It is wired this way due to the child window lock function built into the master switch. I dont see how it could be anything else given what works and what you have tried. Please let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
But I read from other forum that it could be the ECU. I would need to reprogram the switch to make it work again. What do you think ? I'm looking for solution.
Expert:  Edward replied 9 months ago.

My thoughts are its the master switch, One would need an advanced type scanner to properly diagnose the system. You do not happen to have access to a scanner capable of reading codes in all the control modules do you?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have a scanner, but I have No code from the ECM. The switch was disconnected from the door, then does not work when put back.
Expert:  Edward replied 9 months ago.

Im not referring to the ECM. I'm referring to the body control module. Without a scanner to read the codes in the body control module, you cant be positive whats going on.. Let me opt out in case another expert has another idea.Thank you.

Expert:  Toyota Service replied 9 months ago.

Hello. Different expert here. Please allow me to add some input. First, there is no 'reprogramming' possible on the body control unit for this issue. This really sounds like a bad contact inside the switch on the door with the inoperative window. This system uses a master switch that allows a ground circuit to be sent to the door motor, bypassing the switch. Since the master switch works, and the window works, that eliminates the motor function and the master switch function. If this car was in my shop I would be removing the inoperative door switch and testing for continuity between the contact positions (raise, center off and lower) There should be continuity between raise and center off when moved to the raise position, and continuity between center off and lower positions. I would expect to find a problem in the continuity of the door switch.