Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

My 1998 Toyota 4runner has had starting problems few months.

Customer Question

my 1998 Toyota 4runner has had starting problems for a few months. I replaced the battery, alternator, starter and the ignition lock set. after the new lockset it started problem free for a week. then, no start. after a few hours of waiting, it started. 3 days later and it became an all night ordeal. I suspect a security system issue. Maybe a system reset of the ECU?
JA: Lots of things can cause problems with the battery. The Toyota Mechanic will know what to do. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I would prefer to find a diy solution. As of this moment, I'm broke trying to keep this vehicle running.
JA: Is there anything else the Toyota Mechanic should be aware of about your Toyota?
Customer: Not that I'm aware of. I bought it used in December of 2014. It had `
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: ~278000 miles at the time
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 9 months ago.

Well, you just may be in luck. There are outstanding recalls pertaining to the anti-theft systems installed on Toyota vehicles such as yours. Get your VIN ready and call Toyota at(###) ###-####to find out if you are entitled to a free repair.

Best Regards.