Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I'm banging my head on a crank no start 1999 2.2 camry, I

Customer Question

I'm banging my head on a crank no start 1999 2.2 camry
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I had a top engine noise. Pulled the head and inspected everything.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Toyota Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $20 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Customer: Lapped the valves, changes the seals, reinstalled still noisy. Bought a rebuilt head. Installed that. No start. But cranks
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 9 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. A no start condition can be a lot of things. I will take for granted that you have the timing belt set properly, and the cams in the right position. The first thing we want to do is check compressions. Then make sure that you hooked up the crank and cam position sensors. With regard to the top end noise, look very closely where the oil fill hole is on the valve cover. See if the windage tray is bent downwards. Then check for power in the injectors with the key on, You should have power on one side of each injector wire connector., Advise of your findings and we will continue.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Timing is correct. Injectors have power.
As stated I installed a rebuilt head, but since then have never had the car running.
I don't know how much this matters. But after installing the new head I neglected to plug in the crank sensor, and cranked the engine several times before realizing my mistake.
New coil packs.
New oil pump
New oil pan gasket
New plugs
Plug wires have less the 20k miles on them

An unconnected crank sensor will not cause you any damage.

Do you have a "noid light"?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Good. That's what I thought.
Just was not positive.

If not, are the plugs wet with fuel after cranking or you smell fuel when cranking at the tailpipe, or, the plugs are dry and no gasoline odor at the tailpipe?

However....if the crank sensor is faulty, or the ring that the crank sensor 'reads' is cracked, or is installed backwards, the car will not start. If you had the crank pulley off, it is easy to fit the sensor tone ring backwards.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have no CEL codes with reader
One time after a few tries of cranking I did have wet plugs.
Bought new plugs they have never been wet though.

If the plugs are not wet you probably do not have injection pulse. That is where the Noid Light is needed. It takes the place of an injector, connected to the injector wire connector. It will blink to show that the computer is applying a ground. A test light will not work as the ground signal is only 4 milliseconds. You won't see an incandescent light flash in 4 MS. We need to verify the injectors are pulsing. Did you try starting fluid? (have to ask that)

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No noid light. When I've taken the plugs out I smell fuel.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
tried starting fluid. No results.

Does the check engine light come on with the key in the On position?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
When the key is turned on(btw I think I mentioned it's a 1999 2.2 Camry)
Seat belt light
Battery light
Oil light
P (for park) light
An check engine illuminate.

That is good. No check engine light usually means failed computer. We need to check compressions. its possible your new head has valve issues.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I don't believe so. It wss rebuilt by a reputable machine shop.

With no codes, no start with starting fluid, wet plugs, correct cam timing (I assume there is spark at the plugs, and the plugs are the correct ones), we need to check compressions and verify spark is bright blue-white whilst cranking

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am unable to check compression right now. But yes there is spark and the plug are correct to engine. Not positive how bright but I did see spark with spark tester.
Would a bad cam sensor cause a "No start issue"?

Yes. A bad cam sensor would cause a no start reading. This might be a bit strange to ask, but you might want to check your cams to make sure that the sensor has something to 'read'. We had a rebuilt head once supplied that had the wrong cam in it.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
This cam sensor reads off the pulley that I reused.

I would be pulling the front cover off and looking at the tone ring on the crankshaft.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I've checked it twice. It in good condition. And it started just fine with the old head.

Then you have one of the cams out of phase. If everything check out OK, the cams are the last thing it could be.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have had that suspicion. But kept telling myself I installed them with great care. But I will recheck ASAP. I'll let you know what I find out. Good night for now.

Ok. Pls let me know