Fixitman
Fixitman, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, AA Degree Auto/Diesel Tech
1627031

2005 scion xb upper radiator hose not receiving no

Customer Question

2005 scion xb upper radiator hose not receiving no flow', new thermostat [putted in hot water saw it open] replace water pump and radiator, removed thermostat,backed flushed heater core [disconnected heater core lines no flow], attempted to bleed & hiccup still no flow to upper Radiator hose also diconected upper hose no flow.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Fixitman replied 9 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** you for the question. Can you tell me if the engine is overheating?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
it over heated which lead me to do the mention, has not over heated since new water pump, new thermostat,& new radiator & high temp antifreeze, No circulation,
Expert:  Fixitman replied 9 months ago.

Thank you. You need to start by doing a block test. You can get a block test kit at most auto parts stores. When this engine overheats it tends to let some compression pressure into the cooling system which can keep the coolant from flowing. I would do this first. If the problem persists then you may have a restriction or collapsed hose.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
its not over heating at all \ the fluid is NOT CIRCULATING \
Expert:  Fixitman replied 9 months ago.

Does the engine get hot when you let it sit at idle?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
NOT OVER HEATING \ HEATING CORE NOT BLOCKED/ NOT CIRCULATING
Expert:  Fixitman replied 9 months ago.

If the temperature is normal you will not see much flow due to the design of this engine. If you have an infrared temperature gun you can make sure by checking the temperature of the lower hose compared to the upper. As long as the lower hose is not getting above 210 degrees then you are fine. The coolant circulation is not very robust on this engine. Does the lower hose get hot?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i thought a block test consist of circulation to get results \ if you can hive the reasons why no circulation beyond water pump, radiator, heater core, thermostat ( all has been replace & still no circulation ) are you suggestion that a,danafe block will lead to no circulation ?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
that answers alot cause i can feel alight twinkle of a flow
Expert:  Fixitman replied 9 months ago.

The block test will detect combustion gases in the coolant so the flow is not important. I would definitely do this.