Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

98 Toyota rav 4. Just replaced the timing belt and pretty

Customer Question

98 Toyota rav 4. Just replaced the timing belt and pretty dang sure I had the timing marks lined up when I put new belt on, idles a little rough, not enough to kill it, but noticeable. Runs fine going down the road, just when idling. Also changed plugs, wires.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

Did you run a cylinder compression test yet? Are you getting any malfunction codes set? Did you happen to take a picture of the timing mark at the top looking through hole in the web of the gear and while it's at top dead center cylinder number one?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No compression test. No codes come up, and the marks can be a little vague. Is there a good way to line up the marks on the cam gear? At best I can assume the hole in gear is lining up with indention on cam seal/cap
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Was running perfect before belt change. Just figured it was time after 100k miles but belt was actually still looking good.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Had a heck of an oil leak from the oil pump seal is why I went in there
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

Was the battery disconnected when doing the work? Do you have a cylinder compression tester? If you run cylinder compression test it will tell you very quickly whether the timing belt is off one tooth. Based on your description it sounds like that is possible. There's no way to know unless I can see the aligning hole and if the marks are lined up. The only way to do that is take a picture with the top cover off so I can see the hole lined up.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is what I am thinking. Seems it could be very easy to get the belt off a tooth. Was just curious if there was a " perfect" way to line those marks up thru the gear
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Don't have a compression tester but looks like it is in my near future purchases.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Battery wasn't disconnected
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

When it is at TDC or 0° on the scale you should be able to look through that little tiny hole and it will line up with that divot or Mark in the back of the cylinder head/cam bearing CAP. If you want to remove that upper timing cover should only take about 10 minutes then snap a picture of it once you're at 0° on the scale and let me take a look up close and see if I can see through the hole and the mark to see what it looks like lined up. If the battery was disconnected it's possible the memory got lost for the idle speed control motor. You might try and remove the intake boot and spray some cleaner down to those two holes in the throttle body and blow compressed air through there to clean the carbon from the throttle body and from the idle speed control motor. If you're not losing power typically is not out of time but it's hard to tell for sure without driving it doesn't take a lot of power off when you're off one tooth some people don't even notice it. Let me know how you like to proceed.