Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I have a 96 V6 Tacoma, after accelerating there is a ticking

Customer Question

I have a 96 V6 Tacoma , after accelerating there is a ticking sound that later goes away
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: its does not make noise when running or in idle, it is a noise when I accelerate a ticking sound then it goes away
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Toyota Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $20 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  I. Silva replied 1 year ago.

Hello...welcome and thank you for using Justanswser.

It sounds like one of the drive shaft universal joints is bad .

Take a close look at the u-joints to see if there is a brownish color on them , look for the grease firings and give it a good grease job.

If the noise does not go away ,remove the drive shaft and turn the u-joints by hand to see if there is drag on any of them, replace as needed.

Check both drive shafts in case this is a 4x4 vehicle .

Good luck.

Let me know.

Thank you very much.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The noise comes from the engine and it does it standing still, you accelerate and it ticks and it goes away
Expert:  I. Silva replied 1 year ago.

Is the serpentine belt in good conditions , I mean is there any cracks or is it dry ?

Is this a 4 or v6 engine ?

Can you remove the belt and run the engine to see if noise goes away and once you are there ,spin all the pulleys to see if any of them makes noise or has a drag.

Good luck.

Let me know.

Thank you.