Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

It wont shift. The gear shift moves up and down and but the

Customer Question

it wont shift. The gear shift moves up and down and but the car is not shifting. I tried override as well.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Toyota. The Toyota Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I drove to work fine and then was getting ready to back in to my parking space and the car continued to roll forward after I put it in reverse. It was stuck in drive or neutral. The gear shifter went to park but the car was still rolling so applied parking brake and was able to shut the car off. Now the car will not start.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: If possible if not I will tow to a place locally.
JA: Is there anything else the Toyota Mechanic should be aware of about your Toyota?
Customer: it is a 2004 with 50,000 miles and in great condition. Not sure what happened this morning.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.

Hello, thanks for posting

This is kind of an unusual problem but I'll see what I can come up with. You mentioned it's a 2004, what model is it? Has the car been worked on recently for any reason? Any shifting issues before this happened?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Corolla. No maintenance on it recently and no problems prior
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.

Ok, thanks,

It's possible that the shift cable where it's connected to the transmission shift selector has come loose somehow from the lever coming out of the transmission if, as you say it still rolled while the shifter was in park, there must be a disconnect between the shifter and the tramsnission, this can be checked by moving the shifter inside and the cable end where it attaches to the transmission , the cable should move the shift lever on the transmission as the shifter is moved. What happened when you tried to over ride switch, it should let you start it regardless of where the shifter poition is.