sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

The alarm is going off randomly about 1.5 hours after I

Customer Question

The alarm is going off randomly about 1.5 hours after I drive the car.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Toyota. The Toyota Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: 2007 Toyota Camry
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: It's at the shop right now--second time in 9 days
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Toyota Mechanic should know about your Toyota?
Customer: 4-door sedan, V6 engine
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It's been a lot longer than the estimated 8 minutes ... I've been looking online and I see at least 3 possible solutions to this problem. Appreciate an answer soon.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the alarm is going off while the car is sitting it's because activity was seen on a door, hood or trunk ajar circuit. Factory security watches the ajar switches and if it sees a switch close when the system has not been disarmed the alarm will go off.

You may have a door, the trunk or hood that isn't closing correctly. If there is a door or striker adjustment issue, damage or something foreign preventing full closure then it can cause this. I've seen strikers that were misadjusted in a way the door appeared to be closed but it was only on the primary latch.

It may be a wiring issue. It isn't common but if an ajar circuit shorts to ground then it will cause this.

The most likely cause would be a bad ajar switch.