Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

2006 Toyota Sequoia. I disconnected the battery to clean the

Customer Question

2006 Toyota Sequoia. I disconnected the battery to clean the terminals. Now, when I try to start the vehicle it will start for about 1-2 seconds and then shut off.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I think it has to do with the immobilizer/security system shutting the car off
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Toyota Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $20 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 9 months ago.

Hello, thanks for posting

Are you using the same key that always started it before? Disconnecting the battery will not stop the factory engine immobilizer from working?

Does it have an aftermarket security/alarm system installed

Was the no start condition the reason for cleaning the battery terminals?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am using the same key. The spare key also does the same thing. I was under the hood just to check the oil and noticed the terminals had some corrosion so I cleaned them. Starts just fine but then immediately dies. It's just the factory system. The rear hatch did get damaged a couple of weeks ago and the car alarm has gone off at random times. But never had a issue with it not starting.

Sounds like something electrical is disconnected, please check the mass air flow sensor connector or possibly a fuse blew during the battery cleaning, do all dash lights turn on with the key?

Do you have a 12 volt DC testlight or a voltmeter?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I do have a volt meter and all the lights on the dash come on as normal. Okay now the engine just started but now the rpm goes from 1500 to 300 back 1500 3-4 times and then shuts off. That's all within 5-10 seconds.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Not sure if it matter but the timing belt was recently changed.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Figured it out. See picture.

OK, the air intake hose was disconnected from the throttle body, Oh well, I was close with the MAF sensor, very good, have a nice weekend.