Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

Would like step by step instructions inverter on 2006 Prius

Customer Question

Would like step by step instructions for replacing inverter on 2006 Prius
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Eric replied 9 months ago.

HI,

I have attached directions for you - I will give my usual disclaimer because I dont know you or your level of training, but this is a HIGH voltage system that can and will kill you if you are not properly trained in working on these. The directions are attached and use your best judgement on if this is within your capabilities or not

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Expert:  Eric replied 9 months ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I I follow the step-by-step instructions for replacing the inverter everything went fine however once I was done the car still doesn't start I tested the power for the instructions in the inverter I get a zero reading could it be that I didn't plug something incorrectly or something simple that I missed a step or what do you think
Expert:  Eric replied 9 months ago.

HI,

Honestly, that is hard one to answer when one is not there to have seen you replace it. It is very possible that either a connector is not securely connected or not connected at all, or there may be another issue altogether. The first step is to review your work and go over all connections making sure that they are all securely connected

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
OK I completed the replacement of the inverter your last note says certain systems need to be initialized How do you initialize the system
Expert:  Eric replied 9 months ago.

HI,

It is just for the power window system

INITIALIZATION

1. RESET (INITIALIZE) POWER WINDOW REGULATOR MOTOR (for Driver Side) NOTE: Resetting the power window regulator motor (initializing the pulse sensor) is necessary if:

1) the battery terminal cable is disconnected;

2) the power window regulator master switch assembly, wire harness, power window regulator switch, power window regulator assembly and power window regulator motor are replaced or removed / installed; or

3) the PWR H-fuse, FR DOOR fuse, GAUGE fuse and ECU-IG fuse are replaced. If resetting is not performed, the master switch assembly will not be able to operate the AUTO operation function, jam protection function and remote UP / DOWN function.

a. *1: Turn the power switch ON (IG).

b. *2: Open the power window halfway by pressing the power window switch.

c. *3: Fully pull up on the switch until the power window is fully closed and continue to hold the switch for at least 1 second.

d. *4: Check that the AUTO UP / DOWN function operates normally. If the AUTO UP / DOWN function operates normally, reset operations are complete. If abnormal, follow steps below.

e. Disconnect the negative (-) battery terminal cable for 10 seconds.

f. Connect the battery terminal cable.

g. Perform steps *1 to *4 again.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
This has nothing to do with the power window it's the inverter that I replaced and your instructions state some systems may have to be reinitialized how do I do that after replacing inverter
Expert:  Eric replied 9 months ago.

HI,

Re-read step 29. It specifically states initialization of the power windows. The only other system requiring initialization is the TPMS

INITIALIZATION 1. INITIALIZATION NOTICE: - Perform the tire pressure warning system initialization after the transmitter ID registration has been complete. - The initialization is necessary when one of the following situations applies: - Tire pressure warning ECU is replaced. - Tires are replaced with those of different pressures. - Tire pressure warning valve and transmitter are replaced. - Vehicle is newly delivered. (a) Set the tire air pressure for 4 wheels to the specified value. Front: 240 kPa (2.4 kgf/cm2, 35 psi) Rear: 230 kPa (2.3 kgf/cm2, 33 psi) (b) Keep the tire pressure warning reset switch pressed for 3 seconds or more with the power switch ON (IG). (c) Check that the tire pressure warning light blinks 3 times at 1 second intervals. HINT: The initialization is complete when the tire pressure warning ECU has received signals from all of the wheels. (d) Wait for 2 or 3 minutes with the power switch ON (IG). NOTICE: - The initialization is normally completed within 2 to 3 minutes. - If the initialization has not been completed successfully, DTC C2177/77 is set approximately 20 minutes after driving starts. - The initialization can be terminated by making a short circuit between terminals TC and CG of the DLC3 connector. (e) Confirm that the initialization has been completed using the intelligent tester. (1) Change the mode to test mode using intelligent tester and check that test DTCs have been stored. - The test DTCs will not be indicated until the system initialization is complete. - After the initialization has been completed successfully, the test DTCs (C2181/81 to C2191/91) are indicated. NOTICE: The following operations can be used instead of above procedure: 1. Turn the power switch from OFF to ON (IG). 2. Monitor the tire pressure values of all the wheels using intelligent tester. 3. If the tire pressure values cannot be displayed on the intelligent tester screen, the initialization has failed. 4. It takes 2 to 3 minutes to display the tire pressure data. HINT: In winter, as the tire pressure may decrease depending on the ambient temperature increase the tire pressure by 20 kPa (0.2 kgf/cm2, 2.9 psi) to 30 kPa (0.3kgf/cm2, 4.3 psi) above the specified value after confirmation that the initialization has been completed. (f) Initialization is completed.

Expert:  Eric replied 9 months ago.

HI,

If the vehicle doesnt start, then either you did the repair incorrectly, or it was misdiagnosed in the beginning and need to be rediagnosed.