Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I need a mechanic that can help me diagnose a noise, pump

Customer Question

I need a mechanic that can help me diagnose a noise, pump possibly, on my 2006 toyota prius.
I will attempt to video and audio record the noise and post it where you can see or hear I'm assuming it will need somebody who specializes in the Prius.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 9 months ago.

Post the clip or a link to it on youtube and I need a description of when it occurs and any recent work done to it.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I will, there was too much ambient noise where I am, it might be a bit before I can get a good recording

That is fine I have to step out for a few hours and will be back until tonight anyway.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi, here is a link to the video. https://youtu.be/uAPRuPXJER4I had just started and driven the car about 2 minutes and it started. However it will start doing it at times immediately upon starting the car. Turn the car off and it will stop. Turning AC on and off doesn't seem to have any impact on it.There are no warning or idiot light on. Car seems to operate fine. 151000 miles.I just purchased it used. Seems to be in good condition. But I have no service records. I had another prius that I ran into the ground with 300k miles and never heard this sound. The make a lot of clicks and whiring noises, but this is a new one to me.I am am ok mechanic. I know enough to get myself in trouble, and not enough to tell myself I should stop while I am ahead, if you know what I mean.... Wrenching on cars doesn't scare me so I plan on fixing this myself if possible.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Feel free to call me if it's easier to explain(###) ###-####

Do you have the vehicle identification number available? It sounds definitely louder under the hood it is an unusual noise can you isolate it? Does it sound like it is coming more from the passenger side of the engine or from the driver side of the engine near the fender area?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Vin JTDKB20U863151757As I stand in front facing the engine, it is louder on the driver side. seems to be coming from the right side under the cover of what ever gizmo is there, as the ICE is on the passenger side of the engine compartment. I know that the coolant recirculation pump is extricate driven and more toward the front of the vehicle on the drivers side of the engine compartment. This seems to be toward the middle to rear of the engine compartment on the driver side.Let me know if you need me to take another video.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sorry for a couple typos, fat finger on a small phone... And auto correct...
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

There is a circulation pump that is supposed to kick on to exchange the coolant in the water tank under the left inner fender. When you turn the engine off after it's been fully warmed up to operating temperature can you hear the buzzing right after you shut it off or does that pump noise sound normal.

Record another video out under the hood moving it from down by the transaxle behind the inverter and then over slightly towards the drivers fender area? Does the noise pretty much there the whole time when it is sitting and running or if the engine shuts off and the READY light is still on does the noise go away?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The coolant circulation pump I hear as normal. Runs a but after the car shuts off as it did on my other prius.When I get home in my driveway I will try and get a better video and audio. May be a couple hours. Side of the road is not the ideal location...

OK

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi, sorry, I just have not had a chance top get under there with a video. I will try this afternoon.

Ok