roy
roy, import/domestic specialest
Experience:  ASE master tech for 40 years
3506196

Ron, my daughter has a 2009 Prius with error code p1118. It

Customer Question

Hi Ron, my daughter has a 2009 Prius with error code p1118. It was fixed at a body shop and cane back that way
Category: Toyota
Expert:  roy replied 9 months ago.

good evening my name is ***** ***** I will assist

was there front end damage?? did they drain the cooling system????

I would return to the body shop and have them check there work. they may have left off the sensor for the coolant pump or missed damaged wiring associated with the accident.

here is the description of the code

Roy

This system uses an electric pump to supply hot coolant stored in the coolant heat storage tank into the cylinder head of the engine, in order to optimize engine starting combustion and reduce the amount of unburned gas that is discharged while the engine is started. Before the engine starts, the ECM operates the electric water pump to direct the hot coolant in the heat storage tank into the engine, in order to heat the cylinder head (this process is called "preheat mode"). The duration of the operation of the electric water pump is variable, depending on the temperature of the cylinder head. During the normal operation of the engine, the water valve opens the passage between the cylinder head and the heater and closes the passage between the cylinder head and the tank. During preheat mode in which the cylinder head is heated, the water valve opens the passage between the tank and the cylinder head, in order to allow the coolant to flow from the tank to the cylinder head. At this time, in order to warm up the intake port quickly before the engine is started, the coolant flows in the reverse direction.
The sensor for the system, which is provided at the tank outlet, is constructed similarly to the engine coolant temperature sensor and is connected to the ECM. The CHS tank outlet temperature sensor has a built in thermistor, whose resistance varies with the coolant temperature.
HINT: If the ECM detects DTC P0115, P0117 or P0118, it operates the fail-safe function in which the engine coolant temperature is assumed to be 80°C (176°F).

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'm really dissapointed. The extra 23 was charged before I even accepted this answer. I found this description by googling before I ever came here. I got a cut and paste job and was charged for a detailed answer. I'm very annoyed at this service and will make myself heard about on Prius blogs. How do I get my 23 back?
Expert:  roy replied 9 months ago.

I answered your question with accurate info from a factory site. if you had this, I should have known. I am not there and cannot see it or touch it. you are my eyes. the info on on point and recommendations are correct.

Roy

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Roy I guess that's my point, if I'm finding u guys online then I'm probably finding factory printed data that's out there too. I guess I was expecting more insight to this problem. Just curious, what kind of answer would the cheaper non detailed gotten me. Anyway thanks for your help. I'm not trying to b a jerk, I guess I expected something else. Have a good night Roy
Expert:  roy replied 9 months ago.

you too.

Roy