Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

My truck's battery was dead from sitting while. I

Customer Question

My truck's battery was dead from sitting for a while. I jumpstarted it with no problems, drove around for 10-15 minutes, sat in my driveway for another 5-10 minutes just revving it a little.
I then thought it should be ok to shut down and gave it a final little rev and shut it down. I heard what sounded like a POP, and everything went dead, no dash lights, no power.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 9 months ago.

Just to clarify you're saying you turn the key to the on position nothing illuminates on the instrument panel? Do the headlights come on? Do you have a jump box to jump start the battery? Did you have the battery tested? Do you have a voltmeter or 12 V test light to run some checks?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have a tester and will check it now. No lights turn on, on the dash or anywhere at all. I did not have the battery tested. I have jumper cables and another car nearby. Is there a master fuse that could have blown?

Provided that you did not jump backwards it would be extremely unlikely that any main fuse blew. I suppose if the battery was severely damaged or low the alternator could've overcharged and possibly voltage spiked the large 120 ALT fuse. This fuses wired into the fuse box and in order to replace it the box has to be disassembled and the fuse un bolted. Let me know you find the power to the fuses under the hood.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I just tested the battery and I only get about 2 volts. Seems like the battery is dead.

That Is what I was afraid of If the battery was even close to being salvageable or rechargeable in the short period that you drove it it should of recharged it even to about 11 or 12 V. I would replace the battery with a new battery and then see how things go. It would be extremely rare to see the alternator below that fuse simply because the battery is dead.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have a battery lying around, I will install it and see. Ass freezing cold here, working outside

Yeah I know that ass freezing feeling also. Let me know how it goes or if you need any additional information for free to reply. If you have not done so please not forget to rate the assistance that I provided you at three or higher.