Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

1996 Toyota Camry auto sometimes will start first turn of

Customer Question

1996 Toyota Camry auto sometimes will start first turn of key, other times it takes 3,5,7 or more tries.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 9 months ago.

When you are turning the key to start position was multiple times what exactly is going on? Does the engine turnover at all or do you just get a single click or clunk from the engine compartment?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The engine always turns. There is no problem with the starter motor. It is just that it only seems to fire when it is good and ready.

Unfortunately it is really late here on the East Coast. Do you have a scan tool to check to see if there any malfunction code set in the engine control computer? When it is cranking over and not starting have you checked to see if it's losing spark or injector pulse and have you checked for fuel pressure when it's not starting? I will follow up with you in the morning.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks. I will be working till around 10am Aus. time.

check these things and get back to me tomorrow it will be a little difficult being halfway around the world our time schedules will be opposite. We can work through that if you have the equipment and the mechanical ability we should be able to get this resolved.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks. I will not be near the computer for a couple of days. At this stage it will be Friday, Thanks for your patience.

Ok

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks for your help. this thing is costing me more than it's worth. The only thing l have found since last tolking with you is that there is power to the sensor lead on the side of the distributor.

Are you getting any codes? Did you check for them? Is it loosing spark?