Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

I'm having a weird problem with my 1999 Toyota Tacoma

Customer Question

I'm having a weird problem with my 1999 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner 3.4L, it will not move at all in reverse and will have out forward in neutral if the engine is running. In drive it pretty much does what it is supposed to, but was slipping when cold and going uphill until I replaced the TPS and cleaned the MAF sensor.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 9 months ago.

I am a little unclear as to what's going on when you put into neutral. Are you saying in neutral it still wants to move forward? Are you 100% certain that the linkage is attacked and moving correctly when you move the shifter from Park to low?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I also checked the shift linkage underneath the truck and it seemed to be fine.

On this vehicle reverse the strictly hydraulic/mechanical situation. If there's absolutely no engagement in reverse and you are 100% certain that the linkage is corresponding on the shifter then the problem is an internal fault in the transmission. If neutral doesn't exist and it goes forward in neutral there's some type of hydraulic issue in the transmission.