sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

My Toyota ghlander hybrid won't start. Initially I thought

Customer Question

My Toyota Highlander hybrid won't start. Initially I thought it was related to the battery being dead. However after I jumped it the battery works fine. When I press the start button I get all the lights on the dash, the windows work, radio works etc. electrical system is fine. However I don't get the READY light on the console, and I never hear the engine attempt to stop.
Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think somehow the immobilizer system (page 120 of manual) has been triggered. How do you rest this to allow the car to start?
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

I wouldn't expect an immobilizer issue if you aren't seeing the immobilizer light flashing or staying on solid. Are you seeing any warning lights?

Have you tried a second key?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the immobilized light is flashing

Have you tried a second key?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No luck with either. Everything comes in car electrically but engine won't try to start.

Does the keyless entry work?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Everything works except the engine does not even attempt to run over.

Do you have access to a full capability scan tool?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No

Do you have a digital voltmeter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No.

Can you try a battery disconnect and see if anything changes? Without the ability to do any electrical testing there aren't really any other options besides trying another key or a battery disconnect.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I already tried that I think. I disconnected battery for five minutes and reconnected. Nothing changed. Same outcome.

How was the battery charged?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Connected to another running vehicle with jumper cables. Attached for a good fifteen minutes.

If the battery is bad that's not going to help, and I've seen countless jumper cables that simply didn't work. I would recommend removing the battery and having it load tested. Most big chain parts stores such as Autozone and even Wal-Mart will load test batteries for free.