Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

My toyota speedometer is reading 96 mph when I am going ~ 45

Customer Question

My toyota speedometer is reading 96 mph when I am going ~ 45 mph. What is the fix? The range of costs to a fix? It is a 2009
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Toyota. The Toyota Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: The speedometer suddenly has decided to double or more than double my speed as of last night. The weather is very cold, and I'm wondering if that has caused this to act like this. Last week, was also very cold, and I thought the engine seemed to be a little revved up when climbing a hill.... there was also a slight hot metal smell....Smell is the wrong word... it was very faint and very short, it could very well have been from another car going by. That's it!
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: No.
JA: OK! The Toyota Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else the Toyota Mechanic should be aware of about your Toyota?
Customer: It has about 100,000 miles on it. I like the car.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Ok, I need to know what model Toyota you have - avalon, corolla, camry, prius, rav4, 4runner or some other model.

Also, does it have a digital speedometer or analogue(needle with gage)