Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng, Repaired my own cars and others for 20 years, worked in Formula 1 for 10 years
12772297

My name is ***** *****. My Toyota Diesel 3.0 D4D turbo has

Customer Question

Hi My name is ***** *****. My Toyota Diesel 3.0 D4D turbo has started to leak oil from the bottom of the unit. Can you suggest what is the problem please?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Thank for your reply Matt. I noticed oil on the floor overnight where I usually park the car. Checking for the source of the oil leak I put my fingers on the bottom of Turbo there was bit of oil on my fingers. Check all the pipes leading in & out of the unit all were secure and there was no oil leaks on any of the rubber pipes.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Toyota Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $20 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Matt replied 9 months ago.

Hello

I'd 1st then remove the high pressure intake hose after the turbo and have a feel of the turbine wheel - there should be no play radially at all - but a little bit of axial / end to end float is normal

also check inside the pipework for oil deposits as a worn turbo can lose oil through its shaft seal

which then gets drawn into the engine

and also check the oil feed pipe to the turbo ( on the top ) and the drain pipe back to the sump on the bottom

Expert:  Matt replied 9 months ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you