Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

I have 2007 Toyota Prius that is using a lot of oil. I

Customer Question

I have 2007 Toyota Prius that is using a lot of oil. I don't have oil spots on ground, but is be lost when driving. 1qt. every 10 days or so.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

This engine commonly has problems with the PCV or positive crankcase ventilation system. I don't have a ton of time tonight, but here is something to check and I'll check back in with you tomorrow if that's ok:

Remove the intake air boot from the throttle body and check to see if there is oil accumulating under the throttle plate area. If there is, clean the throttle body of oil and then check the engine breather system including the valve cover and the PCV valve.

The PCV valve could be sticking and you will see oil accumulating inside the air intake ducting.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Here is a repair diagram to help you see where to look and how to replace the PCV.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good. Will talk to you tommorrow.
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Good morning,

Let me know if you think you will be able to check the PCV valve.

The valve is on page 4 of the diagram I sent and the hose that connects to it with the little spring clamp will have oil or oil residue in it if the valve is hanging open. When the valve hangs open oil is sucked off of the top of the valve cover and burned through the engine. Because the oil mixes with the air and fuel you will rarely see much smoke from the exhaust when it's going this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will take a few days to check seeing that I'll be out of town for 2days. Thank you.
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Ok. Please let me know if you need any additional information.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

I just wanted to check to see if you need any additional info.

Please don't forget to rate if you no longer need help.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jared I have been really under the weather and haven't been able to look at the pic valve yet. The car is in a different local as well, and I need to drive to it which has been difficult. Thank you for your patience. Will get back to you asap.
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Ok. Thanks!

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in. Please don't forget to rate if you no longer need help.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry Jared but a girlfriend of mine has had the car and was out of town. Hopefully I ll be able to check the car in the next couple of days.
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Your question has dropped onto my timed out list for lack of rating.

Please let me know if you need additional info.