Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

I have a 2ooo Toyota celica it was running ok getting a

Customer Question

I have a 2ooo Toyota celica it was running ok getting a little hot once in a while because the fans quit working so I tried to hook it up to a toggle switch but I blew a 7.5 fuse so i put in a 25 amp fuse in and tried to hook up both fans they started to work than something popped under the hood sounded like a fuse blew but none of them are blown and now the car won't start at all
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. You have most likely caused one of three (or all of them) to blow. These are:

7.5 amp AM2

40 amp MAIN

7.5 amp ST

All of these fuses are in the fuse panel under the hood. The AM2 and the ST fuses are side by side, and the 40 amp MAIN fuse in a larger fuse, witha clear plastic 'window' on it (so you can see the fuse wire). Inspect these fuses closely and see if one or all of them are blown.

To power the radiator fan motor, you need to fit a relay that is controlled by a toggle switch. Wire the battery power 'out' of the relay to the black wire on the radiator fan wire connector (cut the wire from the harness). The condenser fan (the wires are white/red and black) needs to have the white/red of the motor sent to ground, and the black wire powered form a relay. You do not want to just hook up a switch to power the fans. The high draw will cause the switch contacts to melt, unless you use a 25 amp switch (which would be huge).

Please confirm that you have received my input. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. Thanks.