Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

Toyota Camry: ignition stuck in Acc

Customer Question

I have a 91 Camry. It was stolen from but found by police a few weeks later. Now the ignition won't turn passed accessory and the dash lights stay on when I pull the key out and I have to unhook my battery when I park it. We've tried replacing the ignition switch. No change. Also, the ignition lock button no longer goes down when I press it to turn the key all the way off like it did before it was stolen. Someone suggested it may be the switch associated with the gear shift? I have been hearing a kind of clicking/tapping  noise coming from that area of the car sometimes when it's running?

Category: Toyota
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here. Inspect the ignition switch and ignition cylinder housing and see if there is any damage to the housing.In allot of cases the housing can crack or break when a vehicle is stolen if the thieves caused damage to it and the damaged components would need replaced.If this is or has already been checked and found to be o.k. let me know so we can continue. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete