Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I have a 2002 Land Cruiser and I went to start it and it

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Land Cruiser and I went to start it and it started fine but the check engine VCS / TRAC and VSC OFF lights are on. At first it reversed fine but had no power in drive (limited to about 10 mph) now the power seems to have come back but the light are still on.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  I. Silva replied 1 year ago.

Hello...welcome and thank you for using Justanswer.

Once you have the check engine light ON ,the first thing you need to do is scanning the engine computer to see what kind of trouble code is setting your engine light ON,it is normal the other lights being ON.

When the engine computer detects a problem it turns the other lights on and only allows the vehicle to be driven at safe speeds to the nearest repair shop .

If the problem goes away ,you will get the vehicle performance back but the lights will stay ON until you clear the trouble code(s)

This does not mean that the problem is fixed for good ,most likely it will come back.

Unfortunately ,there are many things that can throw trouble codes and set the engine light ON , the correct way to approach the problem is scanning the vehicle computer and then fallow the trouble code description to fix the problem.

If you don't have a scanner ,you can just stop at any major auto parts store and they will scan it or you at no charge.

Good luck.

Let me know.

Thank you very much.