Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

1st one door lock went ,then the other. Keys can lock both

Customer Question

1st one door lock went ,then the other. Keys can lock both doors, but won't turn the opposite way to open. Trunk lock cylinder frozen also. Locks quit over a period of a year.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. This sounds like a combination of two things....A worn key and dirt/grime buildup inside the key cylinders. The first thing to do is get some WD-40 and spray the interior of the keyway. Insert the key and run it in and out several times, then wipe the key off with a paper towel. Repeat this 20 or 30 times. Then see if there is any improvement. If not, I would recommend obtaining the key 'code' from your dealer, and have a locksmith make you a duplicate of your key via the code number. This gives you a perfect key to use.