Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Tech
7276279

I have a 2005 Toyota Corolla vin number 1nxbr32e45z85215 it

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Toyota Corolla vin number 1nxbr32e45z85215 it is giving me a p0741 code Toyota apperently installed a new ecm in 2010 computer engine control # ***** *89661-02k22* 28233270 I want to make sure the correct one was installed before I spend a bunch of money on transmission if they did install the correct one would it be better to just replace the TCC solenoid or will I have to replace transmission thank you for your help in advance I just bought the car and I can't smog it and put it into my name until I fix this
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

Was this repair done to correct the code P0741 back in 2010?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'm not sure I just bought the car in trying to see if they installed the correct ecm one of the other techs on this site cross references the numbers I gave you and told him they installed the wrong one
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am trying to see if they installed the correct one in this car
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

Toyota released a service bulletin back the that dealt with the code P0741 which did call for replacing the ECM . The part number you have listed is not in the bulletin which means either your part number is ***** or they did not replace it with the correct one or it was updated. I have enclosed the bulletin in the link below, copy and paste it to your browser to open and view it. Take a look at the parts listing and you will see the part number you have listed is not on the list.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Toy%20TSB%20Jan%2028.pdf

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
If they did happen to install the correct ecm and that isn't an updated number on the part would it be smarter to replace the tcc solenoid first and see if that solves the problem or save the money and put it towards a tranny overhaul
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
If they did install the wrong ecm would they fix the problem for free since they installed the wrong ecm
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

As long as the transmission is not failing then I would say yes. Its going to be up to them. They should have all the records on file to what was actually done.

Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

Please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.