Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I have a 2008 Toyota four Runner sports with the 4.7 L V8

Customer Question

I have a 2008 Toyota four Runner sports with the 4.7 L V8 and has 105,000 miles on it. I regularly maintain it with oil changes around 3500 miles. I just noticed a tapping in the engine… Sounds like it's coming from the top end
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for allowing me to help you with this concern today and am sorry to hear that this is happening. I will have to ask you a few questions so that I can get a better understanding as to what may be going on with your 4Runner.

Are there any warning lights on or codes stored in the ECU?

Have you had any repair work performed recently?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No warning lights or codes and no repair work

Does the tapping noise speed up when the engine rpm's speed up?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No lose of power in engine either. Engine runs perfect.

I was looking up some repair info and tech service bulletins but there are no known issues with this concern. Will you be working on this 4Runner yourself?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No I will not be working on it myself. I've actually already had it at a Toyota Dealer,. After 3 weeks of them troubleshooting it and replacing parts and of course $1300 later the tapping noise is still there. They replaced starter and flex plate.

Do you know of they check the valve clearance and noted if any adjustments were needed?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
They said they did a cylinder test. While it was running they said they shut down 1 cylinder at a time to see if the tapping noise would go away. They said when they got to cylinder #6 and shut it down the tapping noise stopped. They also said they pulled the valve cover on that side and inspected the valves and rods and everything look good. They then tried to sell me a used or new motor. They also pulled the oil pans below to inspect the cam and parts and they said it all looked in brand new condition under there. At my wits end with this and the truck is a major source of transportation for us. I need to figure it out before something seriously goes wrong with the engine.

I am at a loss on this so I will open it up for all experts to see if they have any ideas. Please do not reply back or else the question will lock back to me. Thanks.