Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I have a 2003 RAV4. The power door lock on drivers side

Customer Question

I have a 2003 RAV4. The power door lock on drivers side stopped working. All other doors unlock. I swapped out the driver side actuator. Now when I connect the new actuator to the wire harness the remaining three doors stop working. The drivers door clicks but nothing else happens. When I un do the harness the remains three doors unlock again. Not sure what the issue is even though have new actuator. I'm told maybe passenger side junction box is / ecu unit maybe faulty. Thoughts why this is impacting only drivers door
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Joe replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is Joe and I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.

Have you inspected the connector for the switch?

Thanks,

Joe

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Are you referring to the switch that controls locks / unlocks the drivers side door. If so. Yes.
Expert:  Joe replied 10 months ago.

Yes that is correct.

Is this a new or reman part and oem or aftermarket?

Thanks,

Joe

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The only thing we changed / swapped out was the actuator. Nothing else. The new actuator is an after market part.
Expert:  Joe replied 10 months ago.

My apologies, I was referring to the actuator being replaced and checking the actual switch. When you use the drivers lock switch with the drivers actuator not connected the remaining three doors all lock/unlock, correct? (using only the drivers door lock switch for this test). And then with drivers actuator connected the others do not, at that point you would want to check power out of the switch at the actuator connector for ground and 12v power and if not present when you press the switch then disconnect from the actuator and test again.

Thanks,

Joe

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
That is correct.When I connect actuator and press switchb there is power and can hear actuator clicking at this point b
Expert:  Joe replied 10 months ago.

But it does not actually succeed in locking/unlocking that door, correct?

Thanks,

Joe

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
That's is correct
Expert:  Joe replied 10 months ago.

Ok, please at this point test via a voltmeter like I explained before this way we can have a direction to look in. :)

Thanks,

Joe

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I will thanks. I have to run out. I will have to get back to you. Sorry.
Expert:  Joe replied 10 months ago.

No problem, I will return a reply as soon as I am able once you have replied back with your findings.

Thanks,

Joe