Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

I have a 2000 toyota celica. At first it used to slip gears

Customer Question

I have a 2000 toyota celica. At first it used to slip gears then i had a mechanic check. he said its the solenoid in the gea box which he changed . the car sputters , sometimes when at top speeds or on the highway, it acts like it doesn't want to move well or sometimes kicks in . And when i buy fuel at the station it just shakes and goes off . Please what could be wrong with my car
Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The issue that is described here may be a fault with a low fuel pressure issue due to a restricted fuel filter or weak fuel pump.I have seen both of these cause this fault here needing replaced to correct this issue.If you have not had the fuel pressure tested and monitored when the fault occurs with a fuel pressure test gauge this needs done.If a pressure fault is found where the pressure is dropping off I suspect the fuel filter or fuel pump is at fault needing replaced to correct this fault here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Pete I'll have the pump checked today and get to you. And Yestee day when i shift to reverse. Took a while to respond
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

Check and make sure the transmission fluid is o.k.If this is o.k. there is a chance that the fault here can be an issue with a solenoid in the transmission or possibly the transmission valve body or transmission fluid pump itself.If the slow engagement continues to occur I would have these tested/checked to see if the fault can be located for repair from there.This may require a transmission repair facility to check/test this here.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
pete you are great. I chnged the atf,the mechanic said he changed the solenoid but now it doesnt slipout of gears. sometimes it just kicks in or it doesnt pull or accelrate like it is . it sometimes accelerates nice, sometimes it doesnt. and it sputters too
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

Thanks,if this still feels like it is transmission related this can be a fault with the transmission valve body itself.This would need to be tested further to be sure this is the cause here and replaced or removed and repaired.

Thanks Pete