Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

My daughter was driving her 1999 Corolla in 2nd gear at

Customer Question

My daughter was driving her 1999 Corolla in 2nd gear at highway speed and the car shut off. When I arrived it would not start. The car was towed to a mechanic and he said that she ruined the bottom of the engine. Why didn't the rev-limiter save the engine?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: What would you like to know?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Toyota Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $20 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 10 months ago.

Hello, thanks for posting

It sounds like the engine ran out of oil oil was very low on oil in order for this to happen, most likely the main and connecting rod bearings seized. This can happen at lower engine speeds of around 2500 rpm which is about right at freeway speeds of about 70 mph. So assuming that she was going at about that speed a rev limiter would not help the lack of lubrication, I'm not even sure this model has a rev limiter but the computer is designed to turn the fuel injectors off at around 105 mph.

Hope this helps explain it, thanks for using JA.