Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

I have P0365 code. I replaced the sensor, checked all wiring

Customer Question

I have P0365 code. I replaced the sensor, checked all wiring and voltage on the sensor. Everything is fine but I still get the same code. Also, I switched plugs from exhaust sensor to intake but still get only P0365 code. The engine works fine, it starts and runs very good, no loss of power or anything else. The only issue is the fuel consumption has gone up by a quarter.Am I having the issue with ECM?
Thanks
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 10 months ago.

Hello, the code is for a cam position sensor on cylinderhead bank 1, it is on the driver's side, is this the sensor that was checked/replaced?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
that's the one
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
We followed all the procedures outlined in Mitchel

Thanks for the reply

Since all the voltages and wires to the sensor check out good and the sensor was switched with no difference I would check the cam itself by removing the valve cover, I just don't know where else to go with this, computers are expensive so I would really have to be sure before replacing it.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
We switched an exhaust sensor with intake one. Did we supposed to get 2 different codes in this case? Because we still got P0365 only. If something is wrong with the cam itself, would it be noticeable? The truck drives with out any issues besides fuel consumption

If switching the intake/exhaust sensors results in no change we have to assume that both sensors are good or you would get a different code, if there is a problem with the pickup part on the camshaft or a wiring issue the code will stay the same.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
We also switched the wiring from one sensor to another and still got the same code and only one. We connected plug from exhaust side to intake and intake to exhaust. Still one code. That's why I think it's a computer issue

I would agree with you on that, I don't see how it could be anything else unless for some reason the sensor is not picking up the signal from the camshaft, possibly some foreign substance stuck on the pickup lobe, kind of rare but it's possible, according to the troubleshooting flow chart when everything else checks out you end up with a computer issue.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
If I replace the ECM, does it need to be reprogrammed? How it can be done?

If it doesn't have the engine immobilizer system it's just a matter of plugging the new computer in it may be necessary to input the VIN# ***** a compatible diagnostic tool.

if it has an immbolizer chip in the key it can be matched up by putting a jumper in the diagnostic connector between terminals CG and Tc, then with the key on wait about 30 minutes for the computer to match up with the key, or the diagnostic scan tool I'll have more specifics on that if you need it. This only works with a new computer, not a used one.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Can I replace my ECM with a used one and reprogramm it?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Can a dealer diagnose my existing ECM for a possible failure?

The dealer can connect the diagnostic tool and check live data, if the sensor is sending the pule information to the computer, this may be the way to go before just replacing the ECM, they do not have a way to test the ECM by itself they check input and out put signals and if the input values are correct we can conclude that the ECM has an internal problem. Using a used computer will require a "resseding" procedure which only a dealer can do.